Monday, March 1, 2010

"I saw a life, and I called it mine."


"Stand here and name
the one you loved,
beneath the drifting ashes,
and, in naming,
rise above time,
as it, flashing, passes."


I'm alternately diving and dipping into this beautiful poetry, this achingly sweet music. Normally, I dislike my attempts to share my deep affection and understanding and connection with this woman because my words inevitably sound tinny, silly and shallow. But I need to try to share. and to tell you that I like being understood.


"This is a world of terrible hardship,
everywhere,
and I search for words
to set you at ease.
But there in the looking-glass,
a kite is soaring,
stilling my warring heart
and my trembling knees."


I'm struggling again with personal balance. I tend to not say the things I want to say when they need to be said. And I'm avoiding potential conflict and wishing for heart stillness. I'm off-kilter and yet steady as a rock. Making changes and resolving to keep them this time.

"I saw a life, and I called it mine.
I saw it, drawn so sweet and fine.
and I had begun to fill in all the lines,
right down to what we'd name her."


Joanna is helping.
And I'm thankful, thankful.
If you listen to this album, call me and we'll talk about it.
We'll sit and sigh.

1 comment:

  1. This is way better than what I tried to write about Joanna. I feel totally inadequate too. Also, I am so glad that we listened to her that one time in the car. Were we on our way to Spokane? I remember that it was dark and you were driving.

    Let's listen together on the floor.

    ReplyDelete