Friday, December 25, 2009

Trying to say Something with Lists.

Family. Fambly.
1. Something you choose. Those people who are guaranteed to be around for every wedding and every funeral.
2. Something you don't choose. Those people who are guaranteed to be around for every wedding and every funeral.
3. Friends who stick around and want to know everything.
4. My cousins and their mothers. We are alike for a reason. Who knew so many strong-willed, outspoken women could exist happily in the same space. It wasn't always happily.
5. Kyle and his wife Dena and our shared experiences and our love of games. Games!
6. The realization that my aunt is really my aunt and I can't do anything about it. Thank you.
7. Permanency. A sense of "for better or worse."
8. Holding hands with your cousin and knowing that there is something more than choice that makes you call one another when bad things happen.
9. Understanding why you do things the way that you do them.
10. Realizing that we all laugh hardest at our own jokes. Gilhams are retarded in that way.

Growing Up.
1. Finding music that I love and playing it over and over again.
2. Looking at people in the eye and knowing what to say.
3. Paying for groceries and telling people that fruit is expensive.
4. Feeding cats.
5. Waiting for phone calls.
6. Knowing when to take some space.
7. Talking about forgiveness.
8. Taking advantage of these last years with my grandmother.
9. Two beers.
10. Telling, not asking. Discussing, not arguing.

I always have more to say than what I write. Here below is just a hearty sentiment from my deep Christmas insides. :) Does that make sense?

Joanna Newsom makes me feel so deeply that it is good to be a woman. Thank you, Jessica, for making me listen to her on the way to Delynn's wedding. I think I've played "Ca' the yowes to the knowes" twenty times in a row today. My life is better. :)

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it great? It's my new bedtime lullaby. I love your lists. You are much better at making lists than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is not even true. but thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm going to download that song now, since you both mentioned it in your blogs. Plus, I don't have any Joanna Newsom yet and I need some.

    Lists are good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10. Realizing that we all laugh hardest at our own jokes. Gilhams are retarded in that way.

    That is so true. Im so glad i blend in that way. :) Miss you Lisa. I love you because I choose to :)

    ReplyDelete