Saturday, January 2, 2010

Dear Lisa,

That is how my letter to my 33-year-old self will begin. Part of me feels that it is super cheesy to write to your future self, but it's not. There are some things that I really want that Lisa to remember. Things like how scary my life is right now. Everything is being held together with bits of string and spit. I feel like I'm waiting for it all to dissolve in my hands and escape through the net of my fingers.

There are other things I'm going to write about too. Things like how firmly I'm fixing my eyes on Jesus and trying to trust that He wants to take care of me. Life is changing, He is not. I may feel that there is nothing to hold onto, but His Spirit within me has been working to teach me that there is Truth and Goodness and Hope and that I too can be a part of these things.

There is Joy in All.

Dear Lisa, (I might say) I am having a hard time right now. But God is Good and Faithful. And sometimes you need to capitalize the important things. Dear Lisa, I hope that you are more financially stable and are with someone who loves you. I hope that you are engaged in work that delights and fulfills you. But if you are not, and if your spirit is heavy and your heart is aching, know that there is still Hope and still Purpose and still Life to live. "For no one is abandoned by the Lord forever. Though He brings grief, He also shows compassion because of the greatness of His unfailing love."

There is Joy in All.

Love, Lisa

1 comment:

  1. Lamentations. I still love that verse that you shared with me so much.

    I was talking to my professor about this concept of "writing your future self [or past self, for that matter] a letter". It's something I enjoy doing from time to time because I love realizing what has changed. Some things, in fact, don't change at all. And others change more than you can ever imagine. I think back to one I wrote to myself Senior year of high school (aimed at my 22-year-old self... but of course I've cheated and read it since). It starts, "Dear Alayna, By now you have probably graduated from Lake Forest and are in dental school...". Even in the first sentence, great change has occurred.

    But, just like you, I end it ". Until then, I’m praying for you. With much love… Alayna". As long as we remember the love, I think we are going in the right direction.

    Thanks for all the advice regarding Scotland!! I will DEFINITELY keep in touch. In fact, can you send me your address so I can mail you something?

    ReplyDelete