Saturday, October 17, 2009

it smells good here.

Today I opened a window in my kitchen, put my nose right up against the screen and breathed in nice and deep.  mmmmmmm, it was raining.  I laughed.  I heard thunder and the dog, scraping his nails on the windowsill, wanting in.  I breathed in again and thought happy thoughts about the fall and the leaves and the dark day.  I love this smell.  Wet and smoky, cold and grey. 

It's been so long since I've been here.  The last fall I spent in Portland was senior year in high school, six years ago.  or is it five?  How do you count that?  freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, London, this year.  Right?  Six?  However you count it, it's a long long time away from my rainy rainy home city. 

I have two cats.  Am I a cat lady?  They're lovely and crazy and I always have stories to tell about them.  I like to talk about my cats. Hmm.  

I like to sit and think with scarves.  My neck gets cold really easily.  I like the red one.  It's long and I can tie it up in knots and thoughts. :)

Here are some rain-inspired haiku.  It's been another long time since I played with syllables.  I used to love that.  Once again,

Today I worried
about slipping on soggy
city sidewalk leaves.

that Thanksgiving smell
is wafting up from the rain-
soaked, autumn asphalt.

an eyeball licking
kitten attacks my orange
sleeves on the warm couch.

every now and then
on my mind. on my mind. on
my mind now and then.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE that smell, too! It happens so often in Tacoma... and it's just one of the many things I love about campus.

    There's also a firepit right near my house, and so occasionally we have a little campfire, and I love that smell, too.

    Can you imagine a world without smells?

    ReplyDelete