Tuesday, October 26, 2010

... and Whether Pigs Have Wings.

Last night Peter and I sat in our living room and drank tea and journaled and tried to get our cats to freak out like normal cats. Fail.

I applied for some seasonal retail work and am keeping my fingers crossed that I get it (I'm doing that thing where I call in about once a day to check on the status of my application). There's something that sounds strangely appealing about being busy around the holidays. I may regret it once I'm stressing out about frilly shirts and shitty customers, but I want to be working more. Also, I think I'll feel less stressed about finances if I'm actively contributing to them. You know?

It's all rainy and cold here right now and I'm kind of loving it. I put on tights when I wake up, scarves when I leave the house and gloves when I get in the car. Why do I love grey and drizzly? Maybe because it feels like home. Also, I like to dress warmly. All my prettiest things are warm things, anyway. And there's more of an excuse to drink hot coffee, hot tea, hot chai and hot mulled wine. HOT HOT HOT! One of my favorite things to get in foreign European countries is a little paper cone filled with hot chesnuts. In French Switzerland they're called Marrons Chauds and in Swiss German one asks for Heissi Marroni. Oh, dear sweet goodness.

I'm feeling rambly and happy this morning. There's nothing pressing that needs doing in this moment and I'm teaching at my favorite preschool this afternoon. Thank you, rainy Portland!

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."

3 comments:

  1. Lisa Gilham-Luginbill, I love you. It was beyond wonderful to talk to you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so so so so happy for you, Lisa. Way to go, love. :)

    ReplyDelete