Saturday, June 14, 2014

Lovely Summer Things

The last time I had a free summer, I had so many plans!  See below:  Summer 2011
This is what I want my summer to be:  beaches and bikes and bright moments.
Feel free to join me in any of the following:
1) volunteering at a beer festival.
2) going to the beach.
3) reading in parks.
4) browsing farmers' markets
5) dressing up
6) dressing down
7) CAMPING
8) taking dance classes
9) going to a play
10) barbequeing
Then I broke my arm while biking downtown and I felt like a lot of this went down the drain.  It was pretty defeating.  I don't remember much about that summer beyond that.

Let's see.  Summer 2012 was Sound of Music.  Sitting with nuns in a hot cafeteria, watching the beautiful days roll by and feeling cheated of my outdoor time.  I thought Summer 2013 would be better since rehearsals for Steel Magnolias would start later on, but somehow I found myself driving to rehearsal in June and wishing that I didn't have to spend my evenings in a cold church basement and my hikeable weekends in Vancouver.

Part of the problem is that I always have so many expectations when summer rolls around.  I set myself up for disappointment in a lot of ways.  In Summer 2013 I did some wonderful things!  I had two weeks off and for one of them I went to my cousin's wedding in France!!  But I was really unsatisfied in general.  I had a lofty list in my mind and when I reviewed it in September, too many things were left unchecked.  It was sad, really.  I let my fantasy summer make my actual summer seem disappointing.

So.  This summer.  2014.  I do have plans.  Lovely plans.  But I am also aware that I have a tendency to get ahead of myself and become unsatisfied with what is actually happening.  To combat that, I'm maintaining a list of lovely summer things as I do them.  Look at these lovely things!

1.  Biked to work (and home!)
2.  Early morning breakfasts with Mom and/or Dad
3.  Evening walks to Multnomah Village
4.  Spontaneous happy hours with co-workers
5.  Family time - walked the parade! and jumped in a pool!
6.  Watched Orange is the New Black and didn't even feel guilty because I know I'm active enough.
7.  Late night heart-to-hearts with close friends.
8.  Watered my garden!
9.  Read in the sun in my garden
10.  Gone out to eat with Peter

All good things.  And more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment