Friday, November 25, 2011

Community Brainstorm

Have you ever noticed that the "talks" in movies never last as long as they would in real life?  A break-up talk, something that might last all night and be horrible and mean and sad, is less than two minutes in Movie Time.  Pretty much every time I watch a movie or see a show in which they have a serious conversation I find myself thinking, "that would last SO MUCH longer in reality."  Really, your reconciliation talk after much distrust and bitterness is only going to be a few phrases?  And you feel satisfied with that?  I wanna see a movie where they break-up for a whole episode.  Give me the exhausting, gut-wrenching, trivial, hour-long conversation where people say everything they say.

OK.

That's not what this post is about.  We don't need a community brainstorm about Movie Talks.

I want to hear what you do that is good for you this time of year when it gets dark and sad.  I want to know what keeps you hopeful, what brings you peace, what makes you brave.  I'm going to write down some of the things that I know help me hold onto sanity, but I would love for everyone who reads this and struggles with darkness to share as well.  Here goes:

1.  Running in the rain and the cold.  I feel like I battle the elements and come out stronger and better afterwards.

2.  Hot tea with a blanket and a good book.  But really, it's about allowing myself to be and not need to accomplish anything.

3.  A movie that gives me a means of catharsis.  Bawling my eyes out to Moulin Rouge is surprisingly helpful.

4.  Regular time with friends.

5 - 10.  Going to the beach.


Your turn please.

5 comments:

  1. 1. Getting in bed and snuggling down, down down in the sheets and wrapping myself in my blankets and closing my eyes.

    2. Having happy traditions that remind me that I am still me, like weekly sister breakfast or weekly lunch with Lisa.

    3. Eating a big bowl of horribly unhealthy Coldstone ice cream.

    4. Putting on my clothes every morning and feeling my body in my clothes and looking in the mirror and taking note of what I look like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Burning a candle. The flickering is enchanting, and the smell helps, too.
    2. Brisk walks, preferably with a dog to remind me that, even when things seem dead, there are PLENTY of smells to be discovered.
    3. Coffee and Earl Grey.
    4. Love Actually. (Partially to pretend that I'm back in the UK...)
    5-10. Ditto to you, especially on stormy grey windy days when all that matters is that you have a roof over your head and a big window through which to watch the mischievous sea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Eating... surprise! Actually, any consumption of food or beverage socially or alone. Usually some kind of hot noodle soup of Asian origin. I don't have proof, but I'm pretty sure that's time travel. To some other place where that flavor existed or will exist.

    2. Wandering without a purpose except to wander. Its like making friends with that tiny, curious voice inside that wants to look closer at this or that or jump in a puddle and doing it because you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are my ingredients for a dark, cold night:

    1. My overly stuffed, fuzzy, yellow armchair.
    2. An even fuzzier cat by my side.
    3. Oregon Chai
    4. A book I've read before so I know how wonderful it will be.
    5. Slippers my Grandma knitted for me with a blanket.
    6. A Mulled Cider candle lit nearby.

    Combine, stir, and enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Fuzzy pajamas. No matter what kind of day I have had, climbing into them (and then putting on fluffy slippers) makes my body relax and my heart happy, every time.

    2. Turning on Christmas lights. On our tree, in our kitchen...wherever really...and then just sitting and looking at them and thinking about whatever I want to. Or not thinking at all.

    3. Theater.

    4. Cooking a yummy meal every once in a while. Like...an all out, no holding back, fancy dinner. And then choosing the perfect wine to go with it.

    5. Making a point to spend time with people who make me laugh. The life giving powers of laughter are so, so underestimated.

    ReplyDelete