Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Courir

I bought a big book called The Ultimate FRENCH Review and Practice.  I spent several hours sitting on the couch muttering in French under my breath and enjoying little victories every time I correctly conjugated an irregular verb without peeking at the answer key.  Il faut que j'apprenne.  Roughly translated, that says I must learn.  Learning is a necessity.  I suppose that's a given.  We have to change, have to move, have to grow.

Last night around 9pm I ran around the George Fox track.  It was cold.  I had new running pants on.  And I think something changed in me.  Before last night, I'd been operating as though this running thing was a phase.  One of those things that I'd like to keep it around, but that will probably fade out of my life, leaving me with a vague sense of loss and disappointment that I have once again failed to keep a positive habit alive.

I don't know though.  I think I may be becoming a Runner.  One of those people who need to run, who like to run, and in whose lives running is a vital puzzle piece.  I'm not there yet, but I feel myself moving in that direction.  I was running last night and half-expecting to arrive in that tired, frustrated, hurting place where I really want to walk.  I never got there.  Instead, I occasionally took stock of my body and it felt really good.  My legs were moving; my heart was pumping; I wasn't gasping for breath; I felt strong and happy.  This morning my body wasn't screaming at me.  I like this and I'm built for it.  I can and I should continue to do this good and healthy thing and I will probably be able to do it for a long time.

Today this is a new and strange thing to contemplate.  What a bizarre and wonderful turn in my life.

2 comments:

  1. I love it. I feel like I might be experiencing the same thing. But I don't necessarily think I'm built for it.

    ReplyDelete